Appalachian Trail Camping
The Appalachian Trail starts in Northern Georgia and ends all the way up in southern Canada, running the length of the entire Appalachian Mountain range. Whether you are looking for Appalachian Trail camping in Maryland, Appalachian Trail Georgia camping, or any other region, there are plenty of opportunities for tents, RVs, and backcountry camping (backpacking) along the way. Check out our overview of Appalachian Trail campgrounds and shelters below, and contact us in the Martinsville area if you have any questions!
Backcountry Camping Along the Appalachian Trail
Can you camp on the Appalachian Trail? Yes.
- There are over 250 shelters for backcountry camping along the 2000-mile long Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is an excellent resource for this.
Can you camp anywhere on the Appalachian Trail? No.
- Some parts of the trail are part of national parks that only permit camping on designated sites.
- There are sections of the trail that allow backcountry campers to set up tents wherever they find a good spot, as long as they leave no trace that they were there.
What Are Some Tips for Considerate Backcountry Camping?
- Try to choose a site that is already bare, with no plants or seedlings to trample.
- Set up your tent on dead leaves or grass at least 70 paces from water.
- Only use existing fire rings, or use a camping stone on rock or ground that is already bare.
- Before you leave, completely extinguish and smother your fire with water and dirt and make sure it is no longer hot.
Popular Designated Camping Sites
Great Smoky Mountains National Park – Tennessee & North Carolina
- You must use designated shelters and campsites for backcountry camping.
- Reservations for backcountry must be booked 30 days in advance via phone 865-436-1231.
- There are also designated front country campgrounds for tent and RV camping.
- Some campground reservations can be made online, and first-come-first-served sites are also available.
Blue Ridge Parkway – North Carolina & Virginia
- There are several campgrounds for tent and RV camping, with potable water, dump stations, and bathrooms with flush toilets.
- Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance, and first-come-first-served sites are also available.
Explore the Danville Area with Us!
Before heading out on your next camping trip, always check local trail regulations and camping regulations. For more local features, check out the best restaurants in Martinsville or Nascar events in Martinsville before you go, and rely on Gunter Nissan of Martinsville for all your automotive needs!
Want more fun local tips? Learn more about our favorite Christmas activities near Ridgeway.
Learn More at Gunter Nissan of Martinsville
No matter if you need to tow a camper or boat for your weekend adventures or if you need to haul materials for your jobsite, a new Nissan Titan or Nissan Titan XD can handle it. After all, both the Nissan Titan and Nissan Titan XD both offer impressive towing power that’s sure to make…
If you’ve decided to venture into the world of green technology in Martinsville, it’s hard to find a better choice in our new inventory than the Nissan LEAF! This fuel-efficient car delivers a rock-solid performance with high-tech features and a stylish build, but just how long does it take to charge a Nissan LEAF? The…
While the head-turning style of the 2020 Nissan Rogue may attract Martinsville drivers at the onset, the affordability of the Nissan Rogue price across all the trim levels is the truly jaw-dropping feature. A host of user-friendly systems, performance possibilities, and interior amenities increase over the configurations, from the low Nissan Rogue Midnight Edition price…