Appalachian Trail Camping
The Appalachian Trail starts in Northern Georgia and ends all the way up in southern Canada, running the length of the entire Appalachian Mountain range. Whether you are looking for Appalachian Trail camping in Maryland, Appalachian Trail Georgia camping, or any other region, there are plenty of opportunities for tents, RVs, and backcountry camping (backpacking) along the way. Check out our overview of Appalachian Trail campgrounds and shelters below, and contact us in the Martinsville area if you have any questions!
Backcountry Camping Along the Appalachian Trail
Can you camp on the Appalachian Trail? Yes.
- There are over 250 shelters for backcountry camping along the 2000-mile long Appalachian Trail. The Appalachian Trail Conservancy is an excellent resource for this.
Can you camp anywhere on the Appalachian Trail? No.
- Some parts of the trail are part of national parks that only permit camping on designated sites.
- There are sections of the trail that allow backcountry campers to set up tents wherever they find a good spot, as long as they leave no trace that they were there.
What Are Some Tips for Considerate Backcountry Camping?
- Try to choose a site that is already bare, with no plants or seedlings to trample.
- Set up your tent on dead leaves or grass at least 70 paces from water.
- Only use existing fire rings, or use a camping stone on rock or ground that is already bare.
- Before you leave, completely extinguish and smother your fire with water and dirt and make sure it is no longer hot.
Popular Designated Camping Sites
Great Smoky Mountains National Park – Tennessee & North Carolina
- You must use designated shelters and campsites for backcountry camping.
- Reservations for backcountry must be booked 30 days in advance via phone 865-436-1231.
- There are also designated front country campgrounds for tent and RV camping.
- Some campground reservations can be made online, and first-come-first-served sites are also available.
Blue Ridge Parkway – North Carolina & Virginia
- There are several campgrounds for tent and RV camping, with potable water, dump stations, and bathrooms with flush toilets.
- Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance, and first-come-first-served sites are also available.
Explore the Danville Area with Us!
Before heading out on your next camping trip, always check local trail regulations and camping regulations. For more local features, check out the best restaurants in Martinsville or Nascar events in Martinsville before you go, and rely on Gunter Nissan of Martinsville for all your automotive needs!
Learn More at Gunter Nissan of Martinsville
If you’re looking for an SUV around Martinsville and Danville that offers up an optimized interior for a more enjoyable ride, then look no further than the 2019 Nissan Rogue! This spacious and connected SUV comes with the latest technology, comfort, and safety features that you expect from a top-of-the-line crossover. Learn more about the…
When it comes to a reliable and spacious SUV you can’t go wrong with the Nissan Pathfinder. The Nissan Pathfinder seating configurations deliver plenty of comfortable space for seven passengers along with the latest tech and amenities to add more luxury to your commute. Learn more about the Nissan Pathfinder seating capacity and interior features…
The 2019 Nissan Rogue compact crossover SUV has caught the attention of Danville drivers and accredited car reviewers alike with its spacious interior and convenience features. Learn more about what the Nissan Rogue reviews have to say about the new Nissan Rogue at Gunter Nissan of Martinsville. Learn More New Inventory What Do the Nissan Rogue Reviews Have…